District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
A district is required to form a DELAC if it has 51 or more English learner students. The committee is comprised of school staff, parents of English learner students, other parents and community members who are interested in English learner programs. At least 51 percent of the committee must be made up of parents of English learner students who are not employed by the district. DELAC members are elected by ELAC members at school sites.
The purpose of the DELAC is to advise, not govern, English learner services and programs offered by the district. As an advisory group, DELAC member duties include:
- Developing a Master Plan for educational programs and services to English Learners.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishing district program goals and objectives for English Learner Services.
- Administrating the annual language census.
- Reviewing and commenting on the district's reclassification procedures for English Learners.
- Reviewing and commenting on the written notifications to be sent to parents and guardians.
- Performing self-evaluation to determine if the DELAC is meeting its goals and appropriately representing the district's English Learners.
The overall goal of the DELAC is to improve our English learners' acquisition of fluency in English and to help our students achieve academic success.
All DELAC meetings, including subcommittees, are required by law to be open to the public. Meeting agendas must be posted in a public place a minimum of 72 hours in advance.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mayra Hernandez at 530-529-8726 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org